Monday 14 October 2013

Extended Practice - Intended Briefs Summary


Statement of Intent.

I intend to focus primarily on Editorial / Collaboration / Illustration and Branding. This year I would like to drive my conceptual and copywriting skills in order to obtain a high level of design through my chosen disciplines. I could see myself as a design working predominantly with collaboration projects with a strong focus in editorial and layout. I would like to work within a fun, thriving ‘creative’ workplace that considers all forms of creative ‘s.

I intend this year to utilize my design skills through the modules and to extensively research my dissertation and to manage my organization skills in order to complete and meet intended deadlines with extended practice. I will plan to also receive one or more placements that I feel would be beneficial to my practice and me, as a designer.

I have chosen to embark of specific themes of briefs that involve aspects of design that I feel will push me further as a designer into my intended design production and practice.
Certain underling themes such as Editorial and layout would apply my skills in communication, layout, and software - Visually pleasing designs and functional aspects. I am also planning to undertake briefs specific to collaborations as I feel it would introduce better communication skills as a designer via the work produced.


This year, I will propose to work primarily with certain aspects of design that will allow me to peruse my interests within graphic design. I aim to concentrate on Editorial / Publication
/ Collaboration / Illustration and Branding. I feel that I will gain more insight into creative purpose if I also aim to work closely with conceptual ideas and copywriting. This could further develop me as a designer and allow my briefs to communicate in the best possible light. I will push my creative development by working and collaborating with creative ‘s and by using processes I have learnt over the past two years.

Briefs:


01

 
Brief 1:
‘Inspire’ – Fashion Collaboration
Rationale:
A self-directed brief to inspire fashion students level 4 and 5 in the run up to end of year projects. Providing visual stimulation alongside practical knowledge. The aim of the event is to display trends in up and coming seasons and contemporary work and inspire the students to push their work further. 

With modern technology students become reliant on the internet for researching. Practical methods of research have been dismissed and valuable techniques are being lost. You must include a range of specific and useful informative material that will inspire a younger generation of fashion students with added knowledge of resources, techniques and tips.

02

Brief 2:
‘Studioooo’ – Event / Promotion
Rationale:
A self initiated project, which showcases Leeds talent whilst promoting us as a ‘studioooo’ as well as individuals. 
Our aim is to invite designers, illustrators and creative ‘s alike to submit work within a set theme to insure continuity.

Preparation is key to running a successful event; We will need to plan and organise the event to a high standard to ensure that ‘studioooo’ is presented in the best possible light.

03


Brief 3
‘Greggs; High Street Contender’ – Rebrand


Rationale:

Gregg’s is one of the last remaining contestants on the high street. While the rest of the retail trade struggles, Gregg’s continue to supply one of the UK’s most important staples – bread. But another franchise, Paul, is offering continental breads and stealing customers from Gregg’s stores.


Gregg’s must fight back. Your task is to create a re-branding for Gregg’s that isn’t simply a logo.
You must include a broad range of specific and useful branding solutions to re-instate Gregg’s as one of the high streets best contenders.

04

Brief 4:
‘Cinema Experience’ – Branding / Promotion
Rationale:
The brief is; ‘to reflect the reputation of ‘everyday’ cinema and move it upmarket, more towards the premium experience of (theatre, opera and ballet), and to distance itself from mainstream cinemas, but still encourage members of the ‘everyday’ ‘affordable’ public to start to re-attend the cinema, as an experience.’
Create a ‘selected cinema’ brand and ideology for the UK - to encourage the public to ‘go to’ the cinema once again.
Your aim is to create a ‘new’ experience of cinema that will excite, promote and entertain the public and film lovers. You will have to create a brand of cinema that is desirable in public opinion to enhance cinema viewing. Create a fixture on the community entertainment calendar, with various deals, which encourage public to be enticed, and to boost cinema revenue.

The ‘event’ of cinema itself is much more than a ‘cinema experience’ now, as it now includes socializing, fine dining and bars therefore cross-promotion will be a key feature in the branding of a cinema.

05

Brief 5:
‘Design Trend Forecast’ – Editorial / Publication
Rationale:
A few years back every blogger wanted a magazine theme, now, trends have changed, and ‘print’ - is back.
Online resources are useful, quick and easy. But printed magazine’s / publications are more specific to certain needs and allow creatives to gain inspiration not only from the context but also from the physical touch and aesthetic feel of a magazine / publication.
Although printed products are lacking in terms of technology and access, print reaches those who cannot gain access to the ‘latest trends’ online.
As part of an Idea’s to inspire young creatives your aim is to create a monthly trend forecast magazine / publication for creative students and create ideas to inspire action within design
Consider the latest trends in design, creative, food, film and TV to encourage more young people to become inspired within the creative network. Allow for showcasing of new talent and young creative ‘s to evolve a social networking database for designers through a ‘print’ concept.
Create a network via the magazine to connect creative ‘s through opinion on trend / new ideas. 
Push the idea of inspiring action and create the monthly magazine / publication to promote creativity through young designers and creative ‘s.

As well a creating the magazine / publication, you need to create an extensive promotion program, aiming to reach the intended target audience in an inspiring and efficient way. Take into consideration price, themes, creative talents and ideas.

06

Brief 6:
‘Studioooo’ – Publication / Promotion
Rationale:
Set by Laura Dockrill and ‘studioooo’; The aim of this task is to produce a small poetry illustration book that will be based on a chosen theme.

The content will be tongue in cheek, light hearted and humorous, marketed toward young adults and creative ‘s. 

07

Brief 7:
‘Competition’ – When Released
Rationale:

I intend to enter a few competition briefs from various student awards such as D&AD, YCN and Talent-house. I plan to enter these briefs as weeklong briefs to break up the longer briefs throughout my extended practice. 

08

Brief 8:
‘Exhibition’ – Collaboration / Promotion
Rationale:

To curate and put on exhibition at 'Sunny Bank Mills Gallery'. Exhibit with a range of other young emerging talent with collaboration through various LCA design disciplines. Pushing 3D elements of print, Way finding and work to exhibit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment