Tuesday 20 May 2014

Cinema Evaulation

Brief: Cinema Brand and Identity

Rationale:

Cinemas are a great place to go to be totally immersed within a world that is different to your own. Whether it is romantic, action and adventure, gritty realism or foreign fantasy etc.
Although it allows an escape, the public have found new ways to create the ‘movie experience’ at home through DVD’s and technology developments causing cinema revenues to drop, or cinemas to be closed.

The brief is; ‘to reflect the reputation of ‘everyday’ cinema and move it upmarket, more towards the premium experience of (theatre, opera and ballet), and to distance itself from mainstream cinemas, but still encourage members of the ‘everyday’ ‘affordable’ public to start to re-attend the cinema, as an experience.’

Create a ‘selected cinema’ brand and ideology for the UK - to encourage the public to ‘go to’ the cinema once again.

Your aim is to create a ‘new’ experience of cinema that will excite, promote and entertain the public and film lovers. You will have to create a brand of cinema that is desirable in public opinion to enhance cinema viewing. Create a fixture on the community entertainment calendar, with various deals, which encourage public to be enticed, and to boost cinema revenue.

The ‘event’ of cinema itself is much more than a ‘cinema experience’ now, as it now includes socializing, fine dining and bars therefore cross-promotion will be a key feature in the branding of a cinema.

Processes:  Triplex, Screen Print, Lasercut

Final Outcome:  Website, User Manual, and Promotional Outcomes

Evaluation

This brief really allowed me to express my love for film and to work once again with layout and digital. I really wanted to create a concept that could work across the cinema and a sub section that could get people to be excited about cinema. I worked with the concept of motion to explore film as an experience. This was created via the concept of submerging film and real life situations within a cinema. I thought this concept was quite strong but throughout the brief I really struggled to portray this without it looking too tacky or un professional. So I decided to use other methods to reflect an experience whilst still in keeping with the concept.

I developed web and application skills from layout experiments and also developed some finer finishes and photography within this brief. I think this really helped me to apply my idea and continue to create a synthesized concept and brief, which I think I applied quite effectively.  My skills in photraphy allowed me to capture the printed aspects quite well and I think that skills has developed quite well. I approached my design style once again with minimal approach. Working closely with image and type allowed my copy and the images used to work together, which I found very useful.


Creating this brief portrays my style, likes and design style which has only just been found. I am very happy with this brief, but I wish I had more time to improve and push the designs further. I feel that I have only completed a limited range as I was quite stuck on how to portray the concept initially. I feel that if I tried to mock up the design in a simple format it could unify the idea more.

No comments:

Post a Comment