Tuesday 20 May 2014

Poem Book Evaluation

Brief  ‘Studioooo’ – Publication / Promotion

Rationale:

Set by Laura Dockrill and ‘studioooo’
The aim of this task is to produce a small poetry illustration book that will be based on a chosen theme. The content will be tongue in cheek, lighthearted and humorous, marketed toward young adults and Creatives. 

Processes: Binding, Illustration

Final Outcome: A5 Zine / Postcard Collection / 2 A3 Posters / Big Cartel / Mock Ups


Evaluation


At the start of this year when I first wrote the brief, it seemed to be one of my main briefs with aims to push my illustrative style of design, I wanted to explore methods of print and vector illustration. After completing other briefs within the module, and this brief itself, I decided that I no longer wanted to work with or improve my illustrative skills for my practice and realized that it was more of a hobby. However, in this module I wanted to complete a brief that was fun, engaging and humorous to differ from how my other briefs have all developed and been created.

Throughout this brief I have developed my illustration and collaboration skills predominantly. I have allowed my self to work with different styles of illustration and to explore methods and processes to push my editorial and publication skills. I feel that I applied this quite well to the brief, creating a generous collection of illustrations via different processes such as, digital,
Hand rendered, painted and stenciled design. Exploring these basic methods pushed the designs forward and created a broad range, which works with the light-hearted concept.  I have developed communication and organization skills also. I had to balance time with Chris and email Laura to get relevant information. This allowed me to direct and appoint certain time frames to the poem book as I was also undergoing briefs at the same time. I also worked on my final outcome of print. I believe that I have applied these skills in terms of copy and illustration quite well throughout this brief, however I did find it difficult to balance writing the poems and illustration and it took me a lot longer then expected to create the designs purely because we set ourselves a large number to complete.

The design production was heavily impacted by the concept of the brief. We wanted to produce a creative, fun, humorous publication so we felt the best way to do this was to create a zine. We thought this would be applicable as it is seen as a simple format to portray ideas and information. We also wanted to design to reflect the nature of the content so we create the zines on bright colour stock and randomized the order every time os that the zines were unique. We also created different binding techniques to reflect the variety of the publication including saddle stich and paper clipping – We opted for paper clips as it allowed the design to be portable so pages could be pulled out and used for posters etc. I thought this was a strong idea that related directly to the not so serious concept we had created. It also allowed for elements of interaction.

I feel that the brief went well in terms of communication between myself and Chris. The design concept and final outcomes I feel work in connection and apply the ideas and tone of voice we wanted to portray. I think that if we had more time we could of created more illustrations using screen printing and other methods to really make the zine look more professional and incorporating the concept further.

No comments:

Post a Comment